Thursday, July 30, 2009

My First Board Book


And it's done! My very first Board Book. Sorry for the delay in getting up the new pictures up but work must come first (keeps those bills paid). This beautiful Grandeur Board Book (Kaiser Craft) from Lil' Lambs Boutique, was very easy to work with. I'm sure this will not be my last one.


Here's the quick story behind this project. The Moms in my neighborhood all get together, twice a month, for Bible study. We are currently working on a Bible Study about parenting our children. Every week, we pray over a new aspect of our childrens' lives. I thought this would be a great cap off to the study and an additional reminder to continually pray for my girls day in and day out.




The whole book is done using Basic Grey Eva collection. The front page is where I added my dimensional Primas, so they wouldn't get crushed inside the book. The flourishes are Grunge Board from Tim Holtz Idea-ology, which I inked with Distress Ink (Peeled Paint) and then sprayed with Glimmer Mist for the shimmer. Throughout the book, I used Crackle Paint to give it a worn effect (you can see a close up in the Sneek Peak post below).




If your pages seem to have a lot of blank space because of a solid background, then sewing or doodling (if you don't care to sew) is a great way to break up a sea of solid color. All the flowers on this page were punched out and made by hand. A very sweet lady, on one of the scrapping boards I frequent, posted this wonderful tutorial here on how she does these types of flowers. I added additional white accents in my solid flowers for highlights.




Don't forget to make use of your pattern paper for die cuts as in the pictures above. They make wonderful accents for board books.




If you don't have a sewing machine, no worries. You can always hand sew on your projects like I did above. I used a circle template and a paper piercer and punched holes all the way around the template. Embroidery floss works great on scrapping projects. I picked up some Slate colored floss and hand stitched my way around the circle using the pre punched holes. If you want a thicker thread or are uncomfortable sewing anything but straight lines, then hand stitching is a great alternative for you.




I used the Martha Stewart border punch here. I love these punches. And if you don't get your corners perfect, don't worry about it. Use your design to cover up any blatant corner problems.




Another Martha Stewart border punch on this page (Arch Lattice). I really like this one.




Finally I picked up the sewing/doodling technique here again to fill out some of the less embellished space.

Thanks for taking a look and go try a Board Book today!

No comments:

Post a Comment