Thursday, March 11, 2010

Caardvarks Photo Inspiration Challenge

This week I have been finishing up a few projects.  But I wanted to fit in this wonderful one from Caardvarks.  They come up with such great card challenges.  The challenge this time is to create a card based on what inspires you from this photo from Kids Pottery Barn.




I looked at this picture for quite a while, went away, came back and looked at it again.  About 2:00am last night I finally got inspired...maybe it was the fully caffienated Diet Coke my husband bought for me instead of my Caffiene free.  Well, whatever it was, it worked.  I worked mainly off the color scheme and then chose to go with butterflies instead of the bird and birdcage.




Here's the instructions on how I made this card:

The card is a 5x7 white textured card from AC Cardstock.  I used a Stamp by Inque Boutique, covered it with Gesso (which is a white based primer) and stamped my butterfly in the corner.  I then inked the edges of my card with Distress Ink (Shabby Shutters and Peeled Paint used here).  Finally I randomly spritzed with my Mini Mister mix (Coffee shop Glimmer Mist, 1 tiny scoop Gold Perfect Pearls).  After you are done inking and spritzing, wet a paper towel and lightly rub over your butterfly to remove the colored inks.  Gesso works as an ink resist.


Next, choose paper for your background piece.  I used Websters Pages Life's Portrait line.  Cut the paper slighltly smaller than 5x7 and then tear the edges all around.  In the corner with the butterfly, tear out a V shape, so the butterfly can peep through from underneath.  In the back edges and front edges with Walnut Stain Distress Ink. Roll up the edges slightly all the way around.





Cut out an oval shape and then cut out the middle section to make an oval ring.  You can emboss your ring with any type of embossing folder (Cuttlebug script folder used here).  Ink your ring any color you desire (Tea Dye and Vintage photo used here).  Glue your oval down on the background and then stamp your sentiment in the upper right middle section (Studio G stamp used here). 




Choose some type of floral paper and cut around the stems and flowers.  Use an exacto swivel knife to cut the smaller inside pieces.  More floral paper from the Life's Portrait collection was used here.  The fence is a border punch from Martha Stewart. Adhere these items to your card.  I suggest using pop dots for part of the floral work and the fence post. It adds nice dimension.




Finally finish off with a small flower in the corner of your V and some butterfly embellishments.  Items used here are a itty bitty Got Milk flower with a Basic Grey Opaline Pearl Center.  The butterfly is a rub-on that I adhered to transparency paper, cut out and then heated up to curl a bit.  It's pop dotted onto the card and then Opaline Pearl Butterfly trails to finish.




Now it's your turn!  If you have any questions about technique or product, just let me know in the comments section.

5 comments:

  1. So very beautiful!! I love the distressing and the images you used. Thanks for joining us at Caardvarks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing!!! Thanks so much for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow....this is gorgeous!! The cutting you did is amazing. There are so many details, you could just look at it forever! Great job with the Caardvarks challenge!

    ♥Lea

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW....this is stunning!!! I love all the cutting, the vintage look, it's just a gorgeous card!!! Thanks for joining us at Caardvarks!

    ReplyDelete