Friday, October 23, 2009

A Cut Above

So, we as family, ventured outside of our comfort zone this year and decided to carve pumpkins. Not being a huge fan of typical jack-o-lantern faces, we always painted faces on, in the past. I have to say, it may have been 20 years since I've carved a pumpkin. What got into me this year, who knows. But we had a delightful time last night with the girls making "special" pumpkins.


Each of our girls got to pick what they wanted on their pumpkin. My oldest picked a bat, which was nice, because it was easier for me to draw the picture onto the pumpkin. We had patterns but didn't think of that when buying our pumpkins which were too small for the pattern. The youngest picked the witch, which she really liked....on paper. As soon as Daddy finished carving them both and lighting them up, she no longer liked her witch. Now it was a scary witch. Ha ha. That's okay, we like her witch and think Daddy did a tremendous job carving them out. Now he's hooked on patterns and I think if I let him, he'd go out and buy 3 or 4 more pumpkins.




I wanted to try the layered carving. It seemed like a nice creative challenge. So I searched the web for pumpkin patterns and found The Pumpkin Wizard. It's a great site with lots of free patterns. The family voted and since we are big Madagascar fans here, chose the Penguins for Mommy's pumpkin. 4 hours later....and here is the result. I don't think it was to bad for my first foray into decorative pumpkin carving.




What do you do to your pumpkins for Halloween? Any unusual decorations? Leave a comment and let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment